**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
Why Work Here?
“At the Better Block, we’re using design, architecture, grassroots organizing, and creativity to make the world a bit better.”
Project Manager Job Description
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is a nonprofit organization that empowers communities and their leaders to reshape their built
environments to promote the growth of healthy and vibrant neighborhoods. The Project Manager should understand and embrace this
mission, and have a genuine passion for urban innovation and bettering cities.
Position (located in Dallas, Texas)
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Project Manager will have strategic and logistical control over his/her assigned Better Block
project and will work with the Project Manager on the project process as a whole. Better Block is a new and growing nonprofit, so the
position offers the person to have a great deal of influence on the growth of the organization. Projects take place in cities across the
U.S., so the position includes frequent travel and work on nights and weekends during project implementation.
Better Block projects are temporary, block-level interventions that demonstrate a series of rapid prototypes. We work with the
community, using their tools, knowledge, and resources, to revitalize neighborhoods. We often add bike lanes with temporary paint,
use digital fabrication and manual processes to construct furniture from plywood and palettes, and activate the space by
coordinating markets. Thus, the role is physically demanding, often requiring moving heavy objects and climbing ladders.
Facilitate Better Block projects from start to finish, including:
o Overall project outline and timeline
o Material sourcing
o Ongoing communication with local team members via regularly scheduled meetings
• Managing and developing project scope and budget
• Tracking expenses, invoicing clients, and tracking time
• Space design and material gathering
• Onsite management of logistics and volunteer workshops during Better Block implementation weeks
• Help in the design, writing, and review of all project-related documents, social media, and reporting/blogging
• The Project Manager should be passionate about new urbanism and willing to swing a hammer, get paint on his/her
clothing, answer volunteers’ questions, etc. This position is very hands-on.
• College degree in urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, design, or project management.
• 4-plus years experience in project management or event planning, ideally in an urban design or city planning environment.
• Flexibility with work schedule and day-to-day tasks, as they may change as projects evolve.
• Ability to work independently without much direction, and to make decisions based on Better Block principles and project
• Ability to work in a team, delegate tasks, and hold team members accountable for these tasks.
• Demonstrated ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
• Demonstrated ability to secure projects, whether through connections, grants, or RFQs/RFPs.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Design skills a plus (Adobe, Sketch Up, GIS).
• Ability and willingness to travel up to 25 percent.
• Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and
• Ability to work in a startup atmosphere where projects must be executed from the ground up.
700 West Davis, Dallas, TX 75208