The Building Engineer operates, maintains, and repairs HVAC, electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems of State Owned buildings and facilities; performs the on-going maintenance and safety functions at various State Owned facilities; and to perform related work; has a basic knowledge of all HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire/life/safety, carpentry and locksmith skills at minimum.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Performs facilities maintenance as they relate to operation of various pumps, motors, building facilities equipment, HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems.
* Maintenance and repair techniques for electrical and mechanical facilities operating systems.
* Operation and use of power and hand tools, equipment, and instruments.
* Specification conformance of parts and materials used in preventive maintenance and repair or replacement of mechanical and electrical building operating systems.
* Mechanical, electrical and instrumentation maintenance procedures.
* Water chemistry for testing and treatment of closed and open loop water systems in HVAC.
* Principles of automated building control systems.
* Telephone, office, and online etiquette.
* State and County customer service objectives and strategies.
* Maintain and repair facility electrical and mechanical operating systems including: electrical, mechanical, plumbing, air conditioning, heating and ventilation.
* Identify, diagnose, and correct facility operating system problems.
* Use various equipment (including welding tools) to implement repairs.
* Interpret drawings and blueprints for structural mechanical, electrical and general facilities operating systems.
* Provide training and technical guidance to subordinate staff.
* Maintain and repair locking systems in various institutions.
* Prioritize work requests and orders according to facility needs.
* Communicate effectively with a variety of individuals representing diverse cultures and backgrounds and function calmly in stressful situations, which require a high degree of sensitivity, tact and diplomacy.
* Assess the customers immediate needs and ensure customers receipt of needed services through personal service or making appropriate referral.
* Provide prompt, efficient and responsive service.
* Exercise appropriate judgment in answering questions and releasing information; analyze and project consequences of decisions and/or recommendations.
* Basic computer skills to input, retrieve, view and print information from facilities management and maintenance tracking systems.
* Establish effective working relationships with management, employees, employee representatives and the public representing diverse cultures and backgrounds.
* Treat State and County employees, representatives of outside agencies and members of the public with courtesy and respect.
* Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
* Plans, coordinates, and performs the on-going maintenance, and safety functions at various County locations.
* Provides support to Project Management tenant improvement projects. Performs the more difficult repair work such as performing minor modifications and maintenance, removing doors, replacing overhead tiles, repairing roof and leaks.
* Performs electrical maintenance work such as disconnecting, replacing and rerouting electrical systems, as well as wall switches and plug receptacles.
* Identifies, diagnoses, and corrects facility operating system problems.
* May perform minor braising and welding repairs involving a variety of metals.
* Determines necessary equipment and materials, and purchases such items using the purchasing order program.
* Tests and treats hot water heating system and chilled water system in heating and air conditioning systems.
* May provide training and technical guidance to Building Maintenance Engineer Assistants or subordinate staff.
* Communicates with professional and governmental business persons and organizations.
* Operates industry standard operating systems.
* Practice Energy Conservation.
* Must practice OSHA safety standards.
* Understand the proper procedures of lock out and tag out procedures.
* Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Two to four years of experience/knowledge in the areas of HVAC, electrical, mechanical, and building trades.
EPA 608 certification is preferred but not required.
Knowledge of MS Office includingOutlook, Word, and Excel.
Good communication skills both written and verbal.
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?