Description of the job
The architectural technologists ensure the materials being used are correct and the building fulfills the legal requirements and other building regulations.
Licensed architectural technologists confer the project of construction and handle the course of action from conception to completion. Their work is not confined to new buildings but includes alteration, refurbishment and other building projects also.
There are approximately 26 degree courses in the world that are acknowledged by CIAT or the "Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists" which is an ideal route to become a licensed architectural technologist.
Though this field of work is accessible to graduates who have an architectural technology degree, yet the other allied industry degrees consists of:
• Architecture/ architectural engineering
• Engineering of building services
• Construction/ building
• Constructed environment studies
• Structural and civil engineering
• Computer aided engineering
Gaining entry in this profession without any degree or by an unacknowledged qualification is feasible through the route of CIAT's profile contender. This can help to become an architectural technician and after an experience of ten years and following booming evaluation of the professional standards of CIAT, as a licensed architectural technologist.
Large organizations can employ groups of hold staff including architectural technologists. A small practice of architecture may provide work to a few technologists working alongside or supporting the practice partners. In big organizations, a promotion is possible to the level of senior technologist, with more responsibility to manage resources and staff, or in a specialist role.
The majority of the work in this field is based on projects; therefore, it is sometimes likely to travel in areas which are not structure based, like commerce and industry.
Professional architectural technologists may also practice as consultants. There are several opportunities provided to undertake research or teach in universities or be employed as an instructor in industry courses.
• The typical beginning salaries for a junior technologist ranges from $24,652 - $36,156; and $29,000 as a national average.
• The usual salary for a person with an experience of three years ranges from $39,443 - $46,017; and $42,224 as a national average.
• The usual salaries for a senior technologist or a senior level post with an experience of ten years ranges from $57,522 - $69,026; and $60,556 as a national average.
Soaring salaries are associated with extensive experience as well as the skill to take liability to run complex contracts. Some other benefits are also offered by the practices like pension schemes and company cars.
Thus, the job prospects for architectural technologists are numerous. Also, this field can be accessed by anybody who has a good qualification and a creative aptitude.